Sunday, April 22, 2012

Honey Cake!

Hooray for honey cake!
 
Momma's friend Marian - who is also my friend - makes me honey cake each year usually during the Jewish Holidays in the fall. Because I love it so much she also usually sends some for my Daddy's birthday in the winter but this winter got really busy and she forgot (so did I). Last week, I got a surprise package in the mail and when I opened it, it turned out to be Marian's honey cake!

I love her honey cake so much! When I opened the box, I could smell it and my mouth watered. The honey creates a sticky coating on the top and even though it is a firm cake, it surprisingly melts in your mouth - cool. The ones at the top of the box were a bit more brown and so they tasted a bit more bittersweet. Marian wrote me a note and wondered if the honey cake would taste different in the spring (from the winter or fall). I think that is where the bittersweet comes from, but since we haven't had much winter at all . . . who knows?

As a side note, a few weeks ago we all went to the East End Brewery to give my GranBee a tour (she was here for a week hanging out with me over spring break). Momma and I went across the street to where 'Burgh Bees has their Apiary to peek through the fence to see if the bees were awake yet. And boy were they AWAKE! They were buzzing all over their hives and as a matter of fact a few even chased us into the car where one hid out in my hair and Momma saved the day by getting it out.  Anyway . . . honey and cake - yum - summer is on its way (except 2-4" of snow is forecast for tomorrow, oops)!
Honey cake happiness!
Thanks Marian!

No comments:

Post a Comment